Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Guilt Trip


Last Friday I went to Denver for the RNC Women's Summit. That morning, as I was getting the kids ready for school, I reminded them that I would not be home when they got back. Syd had apparently forgotten that I would be leaving, and immediately clung to me and began sobbing.


Sydney: "Mom, why do you ALWAYS have to leave me?"


Me: "Sydney, I'll be home on Sunday. Daddy will be here with you when you get home from school, and he'll play with you."


Sydney: (With giant tears running down her cheeks) "But when you leave me, it makes me think you don't like me!"


So I drop the kids off at school and Syd walks in with shoulders hunched and head down. It was totally killing me.


At home I told Gabe how bad I felt leaving the kids. I shouldn't be going away. I have major separation anxiety when it comes to my children.


Gabe (who is extremely supportive of my political dabbling): "Feeling guilty isn't a virtue."


If only it was that simple.


No comments: