Saturday, November 7, 2009

Donuts at Deidre's

I've decided I like preparing for an event much more than I like the event itself.

My annual Halloween donuts went fast this year. Maybe because I invited more people than I had counter space to make donuts for.

Halloween day was busy. Jimmy had a Boy Scout Powwow at BYU all morning, followed by his ghoulish acting debut in the school's spook ally. Hannah went to the school early to help set up the carnival and play the part of a scary old hag. Haley went to the mall with her friend, Cassie. Brooklyn went to the school Halloween Carnival with her friend, Averi, and went through the spook ally three times (I'm so proud). Sydney hung out at home with me while I cooked, baked, chopped, and mixed. And Gabe ran all my errands.

Late in the afternoon, the kids all came home from their various activities. Jimmy was unusually quiet. He sat on a chair and observed me working in the kitchen. He said he was fine, just tired. Even though his face was caked with Grim Reaper makeup, I could see there was a problem. His forehead was burning hot to the touch. I quarantined him to my room for a Gilligan's Island marathon. Poor kid. But with swine flu going around everywhere (Brooklyn, Sydney and I already had it), and a houseful of guests coming soon, we didn't have much choice but to keep him away from everybody.

We had a fun (but hectic) night with a basement full of teenagers, a kitchen table full of food, and a houseful of good friends, neighbors and family.

Nephew, Bryce

Detective Nat Harward

Katie (a.k.a Hill-Billy Ray Cyrus) and Alex (a.k.a. Hannah MANtana) Stone

My little angel, Sydney

Curtis and Lisa Blair

Brooklyn, beautiful bride

Haley and friend, Gracie. The 80's rock.

Hannah (the pretty one in the middle) and a bunch of boys.

Beth and Jonny. They went all-out on their Halloween costumes this year.

Miss Informed

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Cute! Looks like a good time was had by all. We did a scones and hot chocolate thing this year in our neighborhood and it was a big hit too.

Love your costume!

amyraye said...

doesn't it feel great to just do it? i had my blog for about a year before i actually wrote something, too. sounds like your house is as crazy as ours. fun crazy.

Katie said...

Way to go starting a blog!